The Jewels were coveted by Morgoth the Enemy, who stole them and, after destroying the Trees, took them to Middle-earth, and guarded them in his great fortress of Thangorodrim. Against the will of the Valar Fëanor forsook the Blessed Realm and went in exile to Middle-earth, leading with him a great part of his people; for in his pride he purposed to recover the Jewels from Morgoth by force. Thereafter followed the hopeless war of the Eldar and the Edain against Thangorodrim, in which they were at last utterly defeated.
—The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Númenor"
The War of the Jewels (also known as the War of the Great Jewels and the Wars of Beleriand) were a series of conflicts in the centuries leading up to the end of the First Age. The conflict was between the forces of Morgoth and the Elves of Beleriand, with their Edain (and sometimes Dwarf) allies.
From his mighty fortress of Angband, Morgoth used this base from which to launch his attacks on the peoples of Beleriand. While the Ñoldor had some victories, the Doom of Mandos always hung over their efforts. Many Men fell in these battles on both sides, and for a long time after the Elves had scorn for the Men of the Houses who supported Morgoth.
Battles of Beleriand
The following are the major battles in this long, extended conflict.
- The First Battle of Beleriand was fought before the Ñoldor arrived, and was fought by the Sindar and Laiquendi.
- The Second Battle was the Dagor-nuin-Giliath, or Battle-under-Stars, fought by the Ñoldor following Fëanor and his Seven Sons.
- The Third Battle was the Dagor Aglareb, or Glorious Battle, which led to the Siege of Angband.
- Various minor battles were fought during the Siege which are not counted.
- The Fourth Battle was the disastrous Dagor Bragollach, or Battle of Sudden Flame, in which many Ñoldor fell.
- The Fifth Battle was the Nírnaeth Arnoediad or Battle of Unnumbered Tears, in which the Ñoldor armies were utterly destroyed.
- The Sixth and Last Battle of Beleriand was the War of Wrath, which ended the First Age of Arda and destroyed Beleriand.
Other battles of Beleriand
In addition to the six Great Battles of Beleriand, there were other battles in Beleriand against the Dark Lord Morgoth, and even Elves against Elves and Dwarves against Elves. These conflicts were directly or indirectly part of the War of the Jewels.
- Battle of the Lammoth - Fingolfin against the Orcs of Morgoth in Lammoth 
- Battle of the Firth of Drengist* - Fingon against the Orcs of Morgoth in the Firth of Drengist 
- Battle of Tumhalad - The Elves of Nargothrond against Glaurung and the Orcs of Morgoth 
- First Sack of Doriath - Dwarves of Nogrod attack Doriath and sack it.
- Battle of Sarn Athrad - Beren Erchamion, the Laiquendi of Ossiriand and Ents against the Dwarves of Nogrod.
- Second Kinslaying - Dior against the forces of the Sons of Fëanor in Menegroth 
- The Fall of Gondolin - The forces of the Gondolindrim against the forces of Morgoth 
- The Third Kinslaying - The remaining forces of the Sons of Fëanor against the Elves living in the refugees at the Havens of Sirion, in the land of Arvernien 
- The Lord of the Rings
- The Silmarillion
- Unfinished Tales
- The Children of Húrin
- Beren and Lúthien
- The Fall of Gondolin
- The History of Middle-earth
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Albanian||Lufta e xhevahireve|
|Amharic||የከበሩ ድንጋዮች ጦርነት|
|Assamese||ৱাৰ অৱ দ্য জুৱেলছ|
|Belarusian Cyrillic||Ювелірная вайна|
|Bulgarian Cyrillic||Война на бижутата|
|Catalan||Guerra de les Joies|
|Corsican||Guerra di i Ghjuvelli|
|Czech||Válka o Klenoty|
|Esperanto||Milito de la Juveloj|
|French||Guerre des Joyaux|
|Frisian||Oarloch fan de Juwielen (Western)|
|Galician||Guerra de Xoias|
|Georgian||ძვირფასი ქვების ომი|
|Greek||Πόλεμος των Κοσμημάτων (War of the Jewels) Μάχες του Μπελέριαντ (Battles of Beleriand)|
|Haitian Creole||Lagè nan Bijou yo|
|Irish Gaelic||Cogadh na seod|
|Italian||Guerra dei Gioielli|
|Kazakh||Зергерлік соғыс (Cyrillic) Zergerlik soğıs (Latin)|
|Kyrgyz Cyrillic||Зергерчилик согушу|
|Latin||Bellum haud proinde gemmae|
|Luxembourgish||Krich vun de Bijouen|
|Macedonian Cyrillic||Војна на накит|
|Maithili||रत्नों के युद्ध|
|Mongolian Cyrillic||Үнэт эдлэлийн дайн|
|Pashto||د ګاڼو جګړه|
|Polish||Wojna o Klejnoty|
|Portuguese||Guerra da Jóias|
|Serbian||Рат драгуље (Cyrillic) Rat dragulje (Latin)|
|Sindhi||زيورن جي جنگ|
|Spanish||Guerra de las Joyas|
|Tajik Cyrillic||Ҷанги заргарӣ|
|Ukrainian Cyrillic||Війна коштовностей|
|Uzbek||Жавоҳирлар уруши (Cyrillic) Javohirlar urushi (Latin)|
|Yiddish||מלחמה פון די דזשולז|
- The Silmarillion, "Akallabêth" (The Downfall of Númenor)
- The Lord of the Rings, Appendix F, The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age, "Of Men"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter X: "Of the Sindar"
- The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 12: The Peoples of Middle-earth, XI: "The Shibboleth of Fëanor"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XIII: "Of the Return of the Ñoldor"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XXI: "Of Túrin Turambar"
- Unfinished Tales, Part One: The First Age, II: "Narn i Chîn Húrin" (The Tale of the Children of Húrin)
- The Children of Húrin, Narn i Chîn Húrin, The Tale of the Children of Húrin, XI: "The Fall of Nargothrond"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XXII: "Of the Ruin of Doriath"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XXIII: "Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XXIV: "Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"