The One Ring is a Role Playing Game published by Cubicle 7 in 2011, a revised addition released in 2014.
The game is set in the period between the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and is set mainly across the region of Rhovanion however the territory has been extended east across the Misty Mountains through the additions of current and upcoming expansions.
Game Mechanics Edit
Games of The One Ring are split into two phases: the Adventuring phase and the Fellowship phase. In an Adventuring phase, a company of adventurers heads off from their homes and into the Wild, in search of adventure;whereas the Fellowship phase provides heroes with the opportunity to rest and recuperate, to practise their skills or pursue a noble undertaking.
The One Ring Roleplaying Game uses a special set of dice: the twelve-sided Feat die, which is marked with numbers 1-10, as well as two special symbols, Gandalf’s rune and the Eye of Sauron, and a six-sided Success die, which is numbered 1-6, with a Tengwar rune on the 6. You can also use a regular d12 and some d6s.
When you make a roll, you roll the Feat die plus a number of Success dice equal to the skill you’re using, add up all the numbers shown and compare it to the Target Number of the action (typically 14).
Expansions and Supplements Edit
- 'Lore-master's Screen and Lake-town Supplement' contains a GM screen with reference tables on one side and Jon Hodgson’s depiction of Esgaroth on the other. It also contains the Lake-town supplement, including the Men of the Lake heroic culture.
- 'Tales of Wilderland' contains seven ready-to-play adventures that can either be played on their own, or together to form a campaign.
- 'The Heart of the Wild' is the setting supplement for Wilderland, including the banks of the Anduin, the foothills of the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood. It contains descriptions of the regions, new characters and monsters.
- 'The Darkening of Mirkwood' is a companion volume to The Heart of the Wild, using the material in that supplement to form a 30-year epic campaign.
- 'Rivendell' is the latest supplement and the first to be set outside of Wilderland. It covers Eastern Eriador, Rivendell itself and the old kingdoms of Arnor and Angmar. It also includes rules for Rangers of the North and High Elves of Rivendell.