In this year most of the events in The Hobbit are told, though not all mentioned below are told of in the book.
- Bilbo is visited by Gandalf and thirteen Dwarves at Bag End, and goes with them on a quest to recover the treasure from the dragon Smaug in the Lonely Mountain.
- Trolls, Tom, Bert, and William encountered by Thorin and Company, and turned to stone by Gandalf.
- Bilbo finds the One Ring in the dark of Gollum's caves.
- Lake-town is visited by Thorin and Company, once they have traveled down a river in barrels
- Lake-town is attacked by the Smaug, who is consequentially killed by Bard the Bowman.
- The Battle of the Five Armies takes place. Thorin II Oakenshield, Fíli and Kíli are killed.
- Dain II becomes King under the Mountain.
- Attack on Dol Guldur. The White Council drives Sauron, who had been disguised as the Necromancer, out of his hiding in Dol Guldur.
- Fíli, Kili, and Thorin face their death.