Snowmane was born of the horse Lightfoot. During the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in TA 3019, Snowmane was hit by a black dart and fell onto Théoden, crushing him, leading to his death. The Witch-king's flying fell beast landed upon Snowmane's body just prior to being slain by Éowyn.
- Faithful servant yet master's bane,
- Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane.
Earlier versions of the legendarium
Translations around the world
|Foreign Language||Translated Name|
- The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Five, Chapter III: "The Muster of Rohan"
- The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Five, Chapter VI: "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"
- Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings, Snowmane
- The History of Middle-earth, Vol. VIII: The War of the Ring, Part One: The Fall of Saruman, II: "Helm's Deep"