In the Real World Edit
- 1968: The BBC radio version of the The Hobbit begins airing with its first episode: An Unexpected Party.
In Eä Edit
- During the night, Frodo and company reach Bree and stay at The Prancing Pony.
- Strider spies on the Hobbit party and learns who they are.
- Frodo entertains the inn's patrons with a Hobbit drinking song and loses his balance on a table and disappears, arousing suspicions
- Strider reveals himself to Frodo and company as a friend of Gandalf, and offers his services as a guide.
- Mr. Butterbur, forgetting the letter Gandalf told him to give to Frodo, finally gives it to him.
- Gandalf visits The Gaffer's (Hamfast Gamgee) home.
- Boromir continues journey to Rivendell.
- Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel and Frodo board a ship docked at the Grey Havens and sail away from Middle-earth, thus began the Fourth Age of Middle-earth.