Rosie Cotton, nicknamed Rose, was a Hobbit of the Shire. She became the wife of Samwise Gamgee, renowned companion of Frodo Baggins in the quest to destroy the One Ring. She was the mother of Frodo Gardner, Elanor, Rose, Merry, Pippin, Goldilocks, Hamfast, Daisy, Primrose, Bilbo, Ruby, Robin, and Tolman (Tom).
Rosie was a Cotton; the daughter of Tolman Cotton and Lily Brown, and the sister of Tolman (Tom), Wilcome Cotton (Jolly), Bowman (Nick), and Carl Cotton (Nibs), and wife of Samwise Gamgee. She lived with her family on South Lane, in a farm near Bywater. Her early life is not well recorded but it is known that she and her family was always close to the Gamgees, and her brothers frequently swam in the Bywater Pool as youths with the Gamgees including Sam. Being very close friends with Sam, she expected that she and him would eventually marry, and expecting a marriage proposal soon she didn't like it when she heard Sam had left the Shire, apparently for Crickhollow. Though not pleased that he was away for a year, she waited for him patiently.
War of the Ring
Rosie and her family were just as angry as most everyone else but remained docile due to having a family to look after. Rosie remained protected. When Sam came back on November 2, 3019, she told him that she had expected him by the spring and thought him dead. She eventually helped him and the other returning Hobbits fight and defeat the Ruffians and Sharkey. During this time, Sam got the chance to tell her where he had really been and what he had really been doing for over a year. After the war, Sam and Frodo lived with Rosie and the Cottons for a time until Bag End was restored to livable conditions.
Sam and Rosie were finally married on May 1, 3020 and moved to Bag End.. Sam and Rosie had thirteen children: Elanor, Frodo, Rose, Merry, Pippin, Goldilocks, Hamfast, Daisy, Primrose, Bilbo, Ruby, Robin, Tolman (Tom). Many were named after Sam and Rosie's friends and relatives. Among them were Elanor the Fair, Frodo Gardner (FO 2- ), and Goldilocks.
In their later years, Sam and Rosie went to Gondor and lived there for over one year in the house of King Aragorn II Elessar. When they returned, they lived out their lives seeing Sam's mayoral duties passed to Tolman Cotton Jr.. Rosie died in the year 61 in Mid-year's Day at the age of ninety-eight. Sam then left Middle-earth for the Undying Lands later that year after giving their daughter the Red Book of Westmarch.
Behind the scenes
- "I think the simple 'rustic' love of Sam and his Rosie (nowhere elaborated) is absolutely essential to the study of his (the chief hero's) character, and to the theme of the relation of ordinary life (breathing, eating, working, begetting) and quests, sacrifice, causes, and the 'longing for Elves', and sheer beauty." - J.R.R Tolkien letter dated 1951.
Portrayal in adaptations
BBC Radio play
Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy
In Peter Jackson's Film Trilogy, Rosie lives at 10 Bagshot Row and is played by Sarah McLeod and was employed as a barmaid. She barely speaks at all, but dances at Bilbo's party, eagerly taking Sam in her arms as he is encouraged to participate by Frodo. (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Return of the King)
Voice dubbing actors
|Foreign Language||Voice dubbing artist|
|Portuguese (Brazil) (Television/DVD)||Rosely Gonçalves|
|Italian (Italy)||Rachele Paolelli|
Translations around the world
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Belarusian Cyrillic||Росе Цоттон|
|Bulgarian Cyrillic||Роузи памук|
|Chinese (Hong Kong)||小玫·卡頓|
|French||Rose "Rosie" Chaumine|
|German||Rose "Rosie" Hüttinger|
|Irish Gaelic||Rosie Cadás|
|Italian||Rosa "Rosie" Cotton|
|Kazakh Cyrillic||Росіе Цоттон|
|Kyrgyz Cyrillic||Росиэ Цоттон ?|
|Macedonian Cyrillic||Рози Памук|
|Malayalam||റൊസീ പരുത്തി ?|
|Mongolian Cyrillic||Росие ховон|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Rosa "Rosinha" Villa|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Rosa Algodão|
|Serbian||Росита Кото (Cyrillic) Rosita Koto (Latin)|
|Spanish (Spain and Latin America)||Rosa "Rosita" Coto|
|Tajik Cyrillic||Росие Чоттон|
|Ukrainian Cyrillic||Росе Цоттон|
|Uzbek||Росие Чоттон (Cyrillic) Rosie Paxta (Latin)|
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C: Family Trees, The Longfather - Tree of Master Samwise
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B: The Tale of Years (Chronology of the Westlands), "Later Events concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter III: "Mount Doom"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter VIII: "The Scouring of the Shire"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter IX: "The Grey Havens"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B: The Tale of Years (Chronology of the Westlands)
- Rosie Cotton costume site