- "I didn't want to command respect, I wanted to earn loyalty."
- —Richard Armitage on portraying Thorin Oakenshield
Born in Leicester, England, Richard Armitage attended Huncote Community Primary School in Huncote, Blaby District, Leicestershire. Later at Brockington College in Enderby he studied music, playing the cello in school and local orchestras as well as learning to play the flute. He pursued this interest to Pattison College in Coventry, where his education expanded to include dance and acting. He gained A levels in music and English.
- He appeared in the 1997-2003 TV series Cold Feet, which also featured James Nesbitt.
- He appeared in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, which also featured the voice of Anthony Daniels.
- Armitage previously co-starred alongside Hugo Weaving, who portrayed Elrond, in the 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger. Weaving portrayed the main antagonist, Red Skull, while Armitage had a small role as an assassin working for him.
- Starting in 2017, Armitage voices Trevor Belmont, the protagonist of the animated series Castlevania, based on the popular video game series; Graham McTavish appears opposite Armitage as the primary antagonist, Count Dracula.
- He appeared in the 2016 film Alice Through the Looking Glass, which also featured the voice of Stephen Fry.
- He appeared in the 2018 film Ocean's 8, which also featured Cate Blanchett.
Richard Armitage • John Bell • Manu Bennett • Cate Blanchett • Orlando Bloom • Jed Brophy • Adam Brown • John Callen • Benedict Cumberbatch • Luke Evans • Martin Freeman • Stephen Fry • Ryan Gage • Mark Hadlow • Peter Hambleton • Craig Hall • Sir Ian Holm • Stephen Hunter • Robin Kerr • William Kircher • Sir Christopher Lee • Evangeline Lilly • Sir Ian McKellen • Graham McTavish • James Nesbitt • Mary Nesbitt • Peggy Nesbitt • Dean O'Gorman • Lee Pace • Mikael Persbrandt • Andy Serkis • Conan Stevens • Ken Stott • Aidan Turner • Hugo Weaving • Elijah Wood • Stephen Ure • John Rawls