Nivrim was situated west of Region, southeast of Amon Rûdh, north of Aelin-uial, south of the southeastern edge of Brethil, and was located within the Girdle of Melian. Both it and the forest of Region were joined by a bridge crossing the Sirion near where the river Esgalduin joined with it.
The forest was loved by Queen Melian who dedicated it in honor of the Vala Ulmo, and decided it should be in the power of the realm of Doriath proper, thus placing it within Melian's protective barrier. Its fate was ultimately the fate of Doriath's as when Melian left Middle-earth, it was left unprotected and wide-open to its enemies and finally destroyed and the end of the War of Wrath.
The forest was mainly a forest of oak trees hence the other name "Oak Forest."
Translations around the World Edit
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Kazakh||Ниврим (Cyrillic) Nïvrïm (Latin)|
|Serbian||Ниврим (Cyrillic) Nivrim (Latin)|
|Uzbek||Ниврим (Cyrillic) Nivrim (Latin)|
- ↑ The Silmarillion (inside cover), "Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XIV: "Of Beleriand and its Realms"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XXII: "Of the Ruin of Doriath"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XXIV: "Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"
- ↑ The Complete Guide to Middle-earth