- "Arvedui you shall call him, for he will be the last in Arthedain. Though a choice will come to the Dúnedain, and if they take the one that seems less hopeful, then your son will change his name and become king of a great realm. If not, then much sorrow and many lives of men shall pass, until the Dúnedain arise and are united again."
- — Appendix A: Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion
When King Araphant's son was born in TA 1864, he persuaded him to name him Arvedui which meant Last king. He prophesied that either Arvedui would change his name and become king of a great realm or that many lives of men would pass until the same chance arose. This foretold the succession crisis in Gondor, when following the death of King Ondoher in TA 1944, Arvedui unsuccessfully claimed the throne.
About Aragorn, he prophesied:
- Over the land there lies a long shadow,
- westward reaching wings of darkness.
- The Tower trembles; to the tomb of kings
- doom approaches. The Dead awaken;
- for the hour is come for the oathbreakers:
- at the Stone of Erech they shall stand again
- and hear there a horn in the hills ringing.
- Whose shall the horn be? Who shall call them
- from the grey twilight, the forgotten people?
- The heir of him to whom the oath they swore.
- From the North shall he come, need shall drive him:
- he shall pass the Door to the Paths of the Dead.
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Bulgarian Cyrillic||Малбет Ясновидеца|
|Dutch||Malbeth de Ziener|
|French||Malbeth le Voyant|
|German||Malbeth der Seher|
|Greek||Μάλμπεθ ο Μάντης|
|Hungarian||Malbeth, a Látnok|
|Indonesian||Malbeth sang Peramal|
|Italian||Malbeth il Veggente|
|Spanish||Malbeth el Vidente|
- The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Five, Chapter II: "The Passing of the Grey Company"
- The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A: Annals of the Kings and Rulers, I: The Númenórean Kings, (iii): "Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur"