The book was first published in Britain by George Allen and Unwin in 1977. It was also published later in 1978, and 1987. It was first published in the United States in 2000 by Houghton Mifflin. It is divided into eight parts, and like The Lord of the Rings, has a few appendices containing genealogical tables, a chronology of Tolkien's life, his writing, etc.
Table of Contents
This list excludes chapters.
- Part One: A visit
- Part Two 1892-1916: Early years
- Part Three 1917-1925: The making of a mythology
- Part Four 1925-1949(i): 'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit'
- Part Five 1925-1949(ii): The Third Age
- Part Six 1949-1966: Success
- Part Seven 1959-1973: Last years
- Part Eight: The Tree
- A: Simplified genealogical table
- B: Chronology of events
- C: The published writings of J.R.R. Tolkien
- D: Sources and acknowledgements