|History of Arda|
|Timeline of Arda|
The Fourth Age began once Sauron was vanquished and the One Ring destroyed. The Shire and the kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor were restored. It marked the ascent of Men and the final diminishing of the Elves. Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Bilbo and Frodo sailed for the Undying Lands, as had most Elves on Middle-earth.
The allies of Sauron were greatly diminished. Harad was defeated and concluded a peace with King Aragorn II Elessar, by which Umbar, whose fleet had been completely destroyed in the mouths of the Anduin, was returned to Gondor, with South Gondor and the East-lands also annexed. The Easterlings of Rhûn also suffered a terrible defeat as their Orc allies fled in terror from the Battle of the Black Gate. However, King Elessar and his allies such as King Éomer of Rohan on occasion warred with their enemies, fighting in the east and south to bring security to their kingdoms. King Elessar died in FO 120 and was succeeded by his son Eldarion who ruled until about FO 220. Of the kings of the Reunited Kingdom after him, nothing is known.
Behind the scenes
J.R.R. Tolkien said that he thought the distance between the end of the Third Age and the 20th century A.D. was about 6000 years, and that 1958 should have been around the end of the Fifth Age if the Fourth and Fifth Ages were about the same length as the Second and Third Ages. He said, however, in a letter written in 1958 that he believed the Ages had quickened and that it was about the end of the Sixth Age or beginning of the Seventh (this letter is referred to in the "Fourth Age" article of The Encyclopedia of Arda, as mentioned below).
The Fourth Age (in the reckoning of Gondor) began on year 1422 of the Shire Reckoning. The Fourth Age dates can be calculated by subtracting 1421 from the dates in the Shire Reckoning, or 1420 in some cases, since the Fourth Age began on March 25. This website lists some Fourth Age dates in the FO format, as in FO 1 (as opposed to FA, which is sometimes used for the First Age).
- SR 1427 - Peregrin Took marries Diamond of Long Cleeve.
- SR 1430 - Birth of Faramir Took, son of Diamond of Long Cleeve and Peregrin Took.
- (Date Uncertain) - Birth Of Elfwine, son of Lothíriel and Éomer.
- SR 1434 - Peregrin Took becomes 32nd Thain of the Shire.
- SR 1436 - Death of Glóin, father of Gimli.
- SR 1455 - Death of Prince Imrahil. Imrahil's son Elphir succeeds him as Prince of Dol Amroth.
- SR 1462 - Birth of Holfast Gardner, son and heir of Frodo Gardner.
- SR 1482 - Samwise Gamgee leaves Middle-earth via Mithlond.
- SR 1484 - Meriadoc Brandybuck, aged 102, and Peregrin Took, aged 94; leave the Shire to live in Rohan and Gondor; death of Éomer, aged 93. His son Elfwine ascends the throne of Rohan.
- SR 1488 - Death of Prince Elphir, son of Imrahil, 23rd Prince of Dol Amroth. Elphir's son Alphros succeeds him.
- SR 1503 - Death of Faramir, aged 120. His son Elboron succeeds him.
- SR 1516 - Death of Prince Alphros, 24th Prince of Dol Amroth, son of Elphir.
- SR 1541 - Death of Aragorn II Elessar, King of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor, 210 years of age and after a reign of 122 years; Aragorn's son Eldarion ascends the throne. Legolas builds a ship and sails into the west to the Undying Lands, taking Gimli (now a very old Dwarf) with him.
- SR 1542 - Death of Arwen, aged 2901.
- SR 1592 - A copy of the Red Book of Westmarch is made.
- SR 1606 - Death of Harding of the Hill, Sam Gamgee's heir and great-grandson.
- SR 1641 - Events of The New Shadow happen this year.
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Albanian||Epoka e Katërt|
|Belarusian Cyrillic||Чацвёртая эпоха|
|Bulgarian Cyrillic||Четвърта Епоха|
|Cebuano||Ikaupat nga Edad|
|Filipino||Ikaapat na Edad|
|Hmong||Plaub hnub nyoog|
|Irish Gaelic||Ceathrú Aois|
|Kazakh||Төртінші жасы (Cyrillic) Törtinşi jası (Latin)|
|Korean||제 4 시대|
|Kyrgyz Cyrillic||Төртүнчү жашы|
|Macedonian Cyrillic||Четврто Години|
|Mongolian Cyrillic||Дөрөв дэх эрин|
|Scottish Gaelic||An Ceathramh Aois|
|Swahili||Umri wa Nne|
|Tajik Cyrillic||Синну чорум|
|Ukrainian Cyrillic||Четверта Епоха|
|Uzbek||Тўртинчи давр (Cyrillic) To'rtinchi davr (Latin)|
|Vietnamese||Kỷ nguyên thứ tư|
|Welsh||Y Pedwerydd Oes|