After Aredhel Ar-Feiniel made the decision to leave Gondolin and her brother Turgon, it was at the Ford of Brithiach that she sent away the three lords that Turgon had assigned to travel with her. She soon afterwards returned that way after being denied passage through realm of Thingol, in order to search for the land of Celegorm. Later, when Maeglin and Aredhel fled from Eöl, it was at the ford they abandoned their horses and yet were betrayed by the noise of their steeds, and Eöl marked which way they traveled.
Húrin later passed over the ford into Dimbar on his journey to once again come to Gondolin and see its lord, Turgon. Not long after, he returned that way searching for Morwen along the eaves of Brethil.
The ford was shallow across the width of the Sirion, and able to easily be crossed on foot. Its water was clear and very cold, and in some places the water froze for at least part of the year. The Sirion, however, could never freeze in its entirety, not even during the Fell Winter of Nargothrond.
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Afrikaans||Drif van Brithiach|
|Albanian||Va e Brithiach|
|Alemannisch||Furt am Brithiach|
|Catalan||Gual de Brithiach|
|Czech||Brod z Brithiach|
|Danish||Brithiach ("Vadestedet over Sirion")|
|Dutch||De Voorde van Brithiach|
|French||Gué de Brithiach|
|Frisian||Furde fan Brithiach (Western)|
|German||Furt von Brithiach|
|Italian||Guado del Brithiach|
|Polish||Bród na Brithiach|
|Portuguese||Vau de Brithiach|
|Romanian||Vadul de Brithiach|
|Scottish Gaelic||Beul-àtha Brithiach|
|Sicilian||Sguazzu di Brithiach|
|Spanish||Vado de Brithiach|
|Turkish||Brithiach Nehir geçidi|
- Unfinished Tales, Part One: The First Age, Chapter I: "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XVI: "Of Maeglin"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XVII: "Of the Coming of Men into the West"
- The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Ch. XXII: "Of the Ruin of Doriath"
- Unfinished Tales, Part One: The First Age, I: "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin", Note 22