- "For you have been deluded by Saruman. Many of you have got death as you trust in him; but had you conquered, little better would your wages have been."
- —Erkenbrand to Saruman's army in The Two Towers
At the time of the War of the Ring, Erkenbrand had retired from service to Théoden, but returned after the death of Théoden's son, Théodred, to command the forces of Rohan in its western regions. He defended the Westfold until he was summoned by Gandalf to aid the besieged forces at Helm's Deep. He aided Gandalf during the Battle of the Hornburg when he and the White Wizard led a thousand footmen to reinforce the besieged forces of Rohan. After the War of the Ring, Erkenbrand was granted the title of Marshal of the West-Mark by King Éomer.
Portrayal in adaptations
- Erkenbrand does not appear in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Instead, it is Éomer whom Gandalf sets out to find and returns with in the dawn of the final battle at Helm's Deep.
- He appears in the games The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings Online, Decipher's The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game, and in mods for The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II.
- In The Lord of the Rings Online after Gandalf leaves King Theoden's riders, he recruits the player to aid him in his search for Erkenbrand and Grimbold. After journeying across Westfold, the player eventually finds Grimbold at the Fords of Isen and together they find Erkenbrand and his men to the south. After a brief regrouping, Gandalf then leads them on the march towards Hornburg.
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Chinese (Hong Kong)||鄂肯布蘭德|
|Kazakh||Еркенбранд (Cyrillic) Erkenbrand (Latin)|
|Serbian||Еркенбранд (Cyrillic) Erkenbrand (Latin)|
|Uzbek||Еркенбранд (Cyrillic) Erkenbrand (Latin)|