- "That is the path of despair. Of folly I would say, if the long wisdom of Elrond did not forbid me."
- —The Fellowship of the Ring, The Council of Elrond
Erestor attended the Council of Elrond on October 25, 3018. During the discussion about what to do with the One Ring, Erestor asked whether Tom Bombadil could be called upon to help, or whether the Ring could be sent to him for safe-keeping, but that option was rejected.
After the War of the Ring, Erestor was among the party that accompanied Arwen to Minas Tirith for her wedding to Aragorn. They arrived in the city on Midsummer's Eve of 3019. It is not known whether Erestor left Middle-earth with Elrond in September of 3021, but it is most likely that he did leave eventually.
Other versions of the legendarium
In The Return of the Shadow, it was said that "There were three counsellors of Elrond's own household: Erestor his kinsman (a man of the same half-elvish folk known as the children of Lúthien), and beside him two elflords of Rivendell." In others, Erestor was continued to be referred as Elrond's kinsman and one of the Half-elven. He was at first considered one of the Nine Walkers, called "Erestor Half-elf", and had the role later replaced by that of Pippin.
Portrayal in adaptations
- In The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game, Jonathan Harding portrays Erestor on the character's card.
- In The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game, Erestor is equipped with two Ñoldorin daggers, suggesting that he is one of the Ñoldor.
- In The Lord of the Rings Online, prior to the Fellowship's departure from Rivendell, Erestor is involved in a quest exclusive to the Elven characters. After the War of the Ring, he joins the procession from Rivendell that travels to Minas Tirith for Lady Arwen's wedding.
- The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, Book Two, Ch. II: "The Council of Elrond"
- The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter V: "The Steward and the King"
- The History of Middle-earth, Vol. VI: The Return of the Shadow, The Story Continued, chapter XXIII: "In the House of Elrond"
- The History of Middle-earth, Vol. VI: The Return of the Shadow, The Story Continued, chapter XXIV: "The Ring Goes South"
- Erestor at The Argonath website