Edhellond was an ancient harbour in southern Gondor.
Edhellond was founded by Sindar before the end of the First Age, who had come there as refugees from Beleriand during Morgoth's ascendancy. At first, the population of the haven was quite small since the refugees had come in just three small ships, but over time their numbers had been increased by Nandor who came down the Anduin. From Edhellond Elves began sailing westward from the time of the fall of Eregion (in SA 1697 ). Amroth, Prince of Lórien, was lost at sea near Edhellond in TA 1981 when he attempted to swim to shore to seek his beloved Nimrodel. The ship from which he jumped overboard was the last ship of Elves to leave from Edhellond, which was deserted from then on , although remembered in the traditions of Men in Gondor.
It pronounced "ETH-e-lond", with the th sound in "there".
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Chinese (Hong Kong)||艾得西隆得|
|Kazakh||Едһеллонд (Cyrillic) Edhellond (Latin)|
|Serbian||Едхеллонд (Cyrillic) Edhellond (Latin)|
|Uzbek||Едҳеллонд (Cyrillic) Edhellond (Latin)|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Atlas of Middle-earth, Regional Maps, "The White Mountains"
- ↑ Unfinished Tales, Part Two: The Second Age, IV: "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, and of Amroth King of Lórien"
- ↑ Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", "Amroth and Nimrodel", pg. 247
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Second Age"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "Preface"
- ↑ Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", "Amroth and Nimrodel"
- ↑ The Complete Guide to Middle-earth