Since 1978, his reviews have been published of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy, the entirety of The History of Middle-earth, Douglas Charles Kane's Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion, and compilations such as J.R.R. Tolkien: Scholar and Storyteller, Root and Branch - Approaches towards Understanding Tolkien, and The Monsters and the Critics and other essays. In 2017, he assisted in the formation of Dimitra Fimi and Andrew Higgins' publication J.R.R. Tolkien: A Secret Vice.
- 1977 - The Trees, the Jewels and the Rings: A Discursive Enquiry Into Things Little Known on Middle-earth
- 1979-2016 - at least nineteen articles in the Amon Hen and Mallorn publications of the Tolkien Society
- 1991 - "The Natures of Tom Bombadil: A Summary", in Leaves from the Tree
- 1992 - "The Tolkien Society" (essay), in the temporary publication Tolkien Centenary Conference 1992
- 1995 - "Frodo and His Spectre: Blakean Resonances in Tolkien", in Patricia Reynolds' Proceedings of the J.R.R. Tolkien Centenary Conference, 1995
- 2000 - "On the Construction of The Silmarillion", in Verlyn Flieger's Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth
- 2012 - "Fate and Freedom in Tolkien's World: Unresolvable Paradox?", in the Tolkien Society's collection Freedom, Fate and Choice in Middle-earth