Arod was a light horse (but restive and fiery) of Rohan.
After the loss of his original rider, Arod was given to Legolas by Éomer Éadig, in compensation for the supposed deaths of Merry and Pippin. Legolas ordered for his saddle and rein to be taken off, and rode him bareback with ease.
At one point in the story, Arod and Hasufel (the horse given to Aragorn by Éomer) are frightened away by an old man (assumed by the characters in the book to be Saruman). They later return to them, along with Shadowfax, who has been summoned by Gandalf as his own horse. Arod later accompanied Legolas on his way to Edoras.
Portrayals in adaptations Edit
The Lord of the Rings film trilogy Edit
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, Book Three, Chapter II: "The Riders of Rohan"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, Book Three, Chapter V: "The White Rider"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Five, Chapter II: "The Passing of the Gray Company"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter VI: "Many Partings"
- ↑ Parma Eldalamberon, Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien